Billing FAQs

Link to all frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Billing FAQs

My water bill is very high this month. Why?
The first thing to do is check for leaks. 

If the toilet is running, sometimes you can hear it. Lift the top off the toilet tank and see if the level of the water is adequate. This level should be about one inch below the overflow tube.

Do you sometimes have to jiggle the handle to make the toilet to stop running? Yes, then check the flapper valve seal. This flap lifts up when the toilet is flushed. Add about four drops of food coloring to the tank when it is full and then wait ten minutes. If the food coloring has entered toilet bowl, then the flapper valve is bad and needs to be replaced.

These two leaks are the most common.

Have you been watering your lawn or are you trying to keep it green during a hot spell? Do you have a pool? Do children often play in the hose/sprinkler? These are all causes of heavy use which is reflected in high bills.
What are my options for bill payment?
Water bills can be paid by cash, check, money order or automatic electronic funds transfer. You may pay online using an electronic check or credit card. (Please note that there is a fee associated with this form of payment.)

Bills that are not past due can be paid at Ypsilanti City Hall and the Ypsilanti Township Civic Center. Please allow 10 business days for your payment to reach YCUA when paying at these locations. We also offer a payment drop box at our facility at 2777 State Road, Ypsilanti, MI 48198. Access to the drop box is 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday excluding holidays.
Does YCUA have electronic funds transfer capability for bill payment?
Yes. YCUA is pleased to announce that it is now able to offer the option of free electronic bill payment to its customers. To obtain more information, download an enrollment form.
Why are you charging me a late fee?
Your bill is considered delinquent when a balance remains unpaid after the due date. The due date for all bills is twenty (20) days from the date of mailing. A payment made past the due date is charged 1.5% interest on the past-due amount.

How do I enroll in the Budget Billing Program?
Have you ever wished that your water / sewer bills would be consistent each month? If so, then YCUA’s Budget Billing program is for you. Our Budget Billing program allows you to spread the cost of your bills over an entire year. This plan is only available to YCUA customers who have a history of 12 months at the address where you want the account to be budgeted, and the account must be current. If you meet these qualifications, we can add you to the program right away. 

Here’s how the program works: 

  • YCUA will calculate the average of your past 6 periods (12 months) to determine what your monthly Budget Billing amount will be for the next 6 cycles (1 year). Any overages / shortages will be spread over the following 6 periods, so your billed amount will continue to be consistent. 
  • After your first 12 months on the program, you will receive a new Budget Billing amount based on your actual water and sewer use charges for the previous 12 months plus the previous year’s shortage, (or overage credit) if necessary. 
    • For example: If your original Budget Billing amount (for water and sewer use) was $100 per month and your actual water and sewer charges over the year totaled an average of $110 per month, your new budget billing will be $120 (the new average of $110 plus $10 “true up” from your previous year). 
Also worth noting, accounts that become delinquent while on the program may be removed from the program, also if for any reason you ask to be removed from the program, you will need to pay the total amount owed on the account by the next due date. To stay current, all you need to do is pay the Total Amount Due each month and once you sign up you will be on your way toward budgeting your monthly utility bills with YCUA’s Budget Billing program!

To enroll, or if you have any questions, please contact our customer service staff at (734) 484-4600 option 2. 
As a property owner, how do I request duplicate billing for the tenant?
Please complete the Property Owner's Duplicate Billing Request form to have YCUA send duplicate bills to the tenant. Please submit the completed form to or fax to 734-484-3369. Completion of this form does NOT release the property owner from their responsibility to pay these bills. 

*NOTE: Rental tenants cannot opt into paperless billing.
What are YCUA's consumer billing standards?
YCUA's Consumer Billing Standards and Rules as adopted by the Board of Commissioners explains our standard procedures with all billing matters from billing frequency to estimated billing to services of notices.   
How do I sign up to receive your newsletter?
The files containing our biannual newsletter, The Mainstream, are located within our "About Us" page. If you would like to sign up for our mailing list to receive The Mainstream when we publish, please sign up here.