Purpose: The purpose of the Industrial Pretreatment Program is to confirm that the industrial users of the sanitary sewer system are in compliance with local sewer ordinance limitations. These limits are established to protect worker health and safety, prevent interference with the biological breakdown of the sewage, and ensure pollutant concentrations are not exceeded. In this way, YCUA can assure that harmful substances do not pass through the wastewater treatment plant into the receiving stream. The industrial surveillance staff regularly monitors those industries determined to have the most potential to adversely affect the proper discharge of water into the environment. Portable sampling units are placed at selected points to assure those sources do not exceed discharge limits.
History and Regulatory Information: On June 26, 1978, the USEPA published regulations entitled “General Pretreatment Regulations for Existing and New Sources of Pollution” (40CFR part 403) for the purpose of implementing a national policy for the establishment and enforcement of pretreatment standards under Section 307(b) and (c) of the Clean Water Act (CWA). It establishes responsibilities of Federal, State and Local governments, Industry and the public to implement National Pretreatment Standards to control pollutants which pass through or interfere with treatment processes in Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW) or which may contaminate sewage sludge.
This regulation applies to:
The objectives of the general pretreatment regulations are:
- The pollutants from non-domestic sources covered by Pretreatment Standards that are indirectly discharged into or transported by truck or rail or otherwise introduced into POTWs.
- To POTWs that receive wastewater from sources subject to National Pretreatment Standards.
- To any new or existing source subject to Pretreatment Standards that are connected to POTW treatment plant.
40 CFR 403.8(a) states that every POTW with a total design flow greater than 5MGD and receives pollutant which pass through or interfere with the operation of the POTW or are otherwise subject to pretreatment standards are required to establish a POTW pretreatment program. YCUA's Industrial Pretreatment Program has been approved by the State of Michigan's Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ). YCUA's program is regularly audited by the MDEQ to verify it is in accordance with the appropriate regulations.
- To prevent the introduction of pollutants into POTWs that will interfere with the operation of a POTW, including interference with its use or disposal of municipal sludge.
- To prevent the introduction of pollutants into POTWs which will Pas Through the treatment works or otherwise is incompatible with such works (40CFR 403.5).
- To improve opportunities to Recycle and Reclaim municipal and industrial wastewaters and sludges.
For more information on YCUA's Industrial Pretreatment Program, please contact:
Ypsilanti Community Utilities Authority (YCUA)
Attn: Sreedhar Mullapudi, Compliance Supervisor
2777 State Road
Ypsilanti, MI 48198-9112
Phone: 734-484-4600 ext. 123